Play an invaluable role in mental health and do work with meaning!
Pioneera is a female-founded, award-winning Australian-based startup on a mission to use AI Technology to prevent workplace burnout and build strong mental health. Working towards a world where burnout is a thing of the past is what gets us out of bed every morning! Danielle Owen Whitford started Pioneera in 2018 after her own lived experience of burnout. Her aim is to ensure help is accessible to everyone and to provide people the skills and toolset to detect and prevent chronic stress and burnout before they reach crisis mode.
Our AI bot Indie is the flagship product for Pioneera. Indie blends AI and Psychology to identify and act on the early warning signs of stress through personalized, confidential nudges and coaching. Indie helps teams to reduce stress and burnout in the workplace and simultaneously suppporting positive productivity.
Who we are looking for
We are seeking an experienced and highly motivated Software Engineering Manager to join our dynamic team. The ideal candidate will be responsible for leading a small team of software engineers in the development and delivery of high-quality features. This role will work closely with cross-functional teams, including product management, design, and customer experience, to ensure that requirements are delivered on time, within budget, and to the highest quality standards.
- Lead a team of software engineers in the design, development, and testing of our software products;
- Own and run agile ceremonies, including the management of Jira Boards, ticket hygiene, workload estimation and accountability towards deliverables;
- Collaborate with cross-functional teams to ensure that features meet business requirements, are delivered on time, and are of the highest quality;
- Drive technical excellence, innovation, documentation and best practices across the engineering team;
- Define and communicate software engineering processes and standards, and ensure their adoption across the team;
- Mentor and guide team members in their professional growth, providing regular feedback and coaching;
- Participate in executive team meetings and annual & quarterly business planning sessions with senior leadership to ensure goals and priorities align;
- Manage resources, including budget and staffing to support software development projects;
- Participate in the recruitment and hiring of new team members, and promote a positive and inclusive work environment;
- Stay current with emerging trends and technologies in software engineering, and identify opportunities to apply them to our products and processes.
Skills and Qualifications
- 7-10 years of experience in full-stack software development
- Thorough, hands-on experience architecting, designing and building scalable SaaS product in a cloud PaaS (GCP/AWS/Azure), using NoSQL (MongoDB), Node.js, Next & React.js, yarn, npm, with specific experience using pubsub and Docker;
- Experience using GitHub and workflow/build scripts to deploy into a PaaS cloud (GCP preferred, AWS/Azure), including automated testing as part of build process;
- Experience productising software - building it to be a great user experience, plus cost-effective, secure, maintainable, scalable and reliable, and using logging, monitoring and notification tools to automate this as much as possible e.g. GCP tools, Mixpanel;
- At least 2-3 years experience in a technical lead or management role;
- Proven success in building, developing, and managing a high-performance engineering culture in enterprise software products;
- Experience working in an Agile software development environment;
- A passion for using technology to help humans be better;
- General interest in language and other methods of understanding someone, in particular their mental state/health;
Desired but not Essential Skills & Qualifications
- Prior use of Apollo GraphQL and Mongoose;
- Writing GitHub workflow to deploy to a cloud PaaS (GCP preferred, AWS or Azure);
- Experience with Slack API, Microsoft Graph and Google Workspace API;
- Experience building Azure Enterprise Apps and Teams Chat bots and listing in the Azure Marketplace;
- Data pattern detection and analysis using software libraries or AI;
- Intelligent Agent/ChatBot experience;
- Experience in use of AI/ML, NLP and a sound understanding of theory and implementation options.
What success looks like
In the first month, you will….
- Get to know the team and capabilities, our culture and our way of working.
- Get up to speed with the product, tech stack and roadmap.
- Understand and communicate the technical and scalability constraints and risks to the roadmap.
In the next few months, you will…
- Contribute to the delivery of our short and long term technology and product roadmaps.
- Improve the user/customer experience and reduce bugs and downtime.
- Increase the velocity of delivery of features and improvements to reduce costs.
You will be reporting to Danielle (Founder & CEO). Danielle is a former corporate executive with more than 20 years of leadership experience across operations, retail, customer service and large-scale transformation. There will be a period of handover from the current Head of Product and Engineering who will be moving to the role of Head of Product and Research.
Your peers will be Head of Product & Research, Chief Marketing Officer, and Head of Sales and Head of Customer Success.
- Hybrid position, in office one day a week
- Flexible work schedule
- Career Growth: opportunity to accelerate your career and become a leader in the company;
- Salary: competitive package that offers superannuation equity and competitive commission package
- Development: we support professional development in our team and strive to provide opportunities for you to grow, both technically and in your leadership capabilities
- Grow with us: you’ll be eligible to participate in our ESOP;
- Amazing team culture: we are all passionate about mental health and we walk the talk!;
We are an inclusive employer, which means we welcome candidates from all walks of life, age, location (Australia based), gender and cultural background. In order to “walk the talk”, we commit to asking regular feedback from our employees and our candidates on how we can improve and advocate for more diversity & inclusion.